Greater Hidden Hills Community Development Corporation (GHHCDC) Meeting
Mainstreet Community Center, Aug.23, 2014, 10 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Attending: Jan Costello, Nadine Rivers-Johnson, Phyllis Frierson, Joyce Russell
Phyllis Frierson reported that we will have a complete report next month. We received several membership payments. Jan will submit invoices (about $80) for the checks, business cards, and website fees.
Joyce has created the financial statements we need (income, cash flow, balance sheet) for 2013 and year to date. Joyce and Phyllis are working together on merging some of the reporting functions so that we don’t duplicate work.
We have a financial folder in Google Drive with the financial reports.
We have business cards! Board members were given copies. Nadine and Jan have extras. We can distribute these one-on-one and at our meetings.
We are eligible to fill out the “easy” online form. It will cost $400. Joyce volunteered to handle the data entry. We will each provide her information, as needed. Our goal is to finish by the end of September.
PJ’s Liquor Store at 1241 Panola Road received the SLUP variance with the conditions we requested. All but the painting have been accomplished. Painting will occur once the gas station franchise change takes place. PJs is going through the building permit promise and hope to expand into the new space as soon as possible. Jan will send them a letter thanking them for their willingness to improve the lot. The conditions that were attached are:
1) The requested Special Land Use Permit shall be issued to Parkash Enterprises for operation of an alcohol outlet at 1241 Panola Road, Suite E, and shall be transferrable in accordance with Section 27-877 of the DeKalb County Code or the applicable provisions of the new zoning ordinance.
2) Total floor area after expansion of the proposed addition of PJs Package Store shall not exceed 4,330 square feet.
3) Compliance with the alcohol license requirements of DeKalb County. After expansion, PJ’s Package Store will maintain the existing entrance to Suite E, and there will be no additional customer entrances/exits to the alcohol outlet unless in compliance with the distance requirements of the alcohol ordinance.
4) Implement the landscape improvements as noted on the two landscape concept plans dated 04/29/14 and entitled PJs Package Store as prepared by El Mina Incorporated and date stamped by the Planning Department on July 23, 2014. This includes new plantings of a minimum of four trees with shrubs in four areas as shown on landscape plan.
5) Provide security coverage after 6:00 p.m. to closing.
6) Add two refuse containers at the gasoline pump islands, one refuse container near the convenience store entrance, and one refuse container at the other (west) end of the shopping center.
7) Provide a defined pedestrian pathway/steps through the parking landscaped island/median servicing the parking area along the Redan Road frontage.
8) Any change in exterior building façade, including wall signage, the building parapet wall, and/or accent walls, shall be painted in compliance with the Hidden Hills Overlay District requirements.
The Panola Slope zoning requests will come before the Planning Commission Sept. 9 (6:30 p.m.) and the Board of Commissioners Sept 23 (6:30 p.m.). We discussed how the redevelopment fits in with the Greater Hidden Hills Community Development Corporation’s mission of economic development. Even though we do not have the answers to all of our questions, we are inclined to support the project because it is upscale and promotes economic development. We will request a meeting with the developer on the Panola Slope property to review the project one more time. Following that meeting, we will decide whether to issue a letter of support.
Lot near LA Fitness
No word yet on a meeting with Halpern, the owners.
Nadine made contact with Kroger’s. The manager is still eager to help set up a meeting of business owners. Nadine will keep working on the arrangements.
We will plan a general public meeting for Oct. 28, 6:30 p.m. Nadine will approach White Oaks church about using their facility. We will find a marketing expert to speak to the group about ways to reach and attract customers. This would be a great time to pass out Char’s streetscape brochure.
Our next board meeting will be Sept. 27 at 10 a.m.
Our next general public meeting will be Oct. 28, 6:30 p.m.