At this week’s meeting, the DeKalb County Board of Commissioners deferred a vote on the Panola Slope zoning requests until Nov. 4, 10 a.m. This is the proposal for the redevelopment of the vacant townhomes near Young Road, Hidden Creek, and Covington Highway. APD Solutions proposes to redevelop the property into a luxury resort and entertainment complex, with restaurants and electronic games.
The Board of Commissioners wants to know more about the gaming operations. In addition, Commission Sharon Barnes-Sutton requested a meeting with the developers.
The DeKalb Planning Department staff recommended approval under specific conditions. These include a limit on the number of games, a limit on the square footage of entertainment space, a new access road into the facility, and a 50-foot buffer between the development and the residences. It also set a condition of no alcohol service after 2:00 a.m, a minimum number of security officers, and compliance with the county’s noise ordinance. The full list is included below.
The Greater Hidden Hills Community Development Corporation supports APD Solution’s redevelopment project, and all the recommended conditions, for the following reasons:
- the commitment to an aesthetically pleasing and safe environment that APD Solutions has demonstrated as owners of the property for five years;
- the concept of a moderate- to high-end resort and entertainment complex;
- the prospect of 150 new jobs;
- the addition of two full-scale restaurants;
- the addition of four retail shops;
- the addition of an outdoor venue;
- the attention to security;
- the attention to building synergy with other entertainment venues in the area, such as Stone Mountain Park and local golf courses; and
- the willingness to be “good neighbors,” paying careful consideration to the needs of the adjacent residential communities.
Full List of DeKalb County Planning Staff’s Recommended Conditions
The DeKalb Planning Department staff recommended approval of rezoning the property from Office-Commercial-Retail to Commercial (C-1) with the following conditions:
- To the revised conceptual site plan entitled proposed Panola Slopes Resort dated 8/29/14 and stamped received by the Department of Planning and Sustainability on September 2, 2014. The maximum building square footage of all uses shall be limited to 83,679 square feet. Said site plan is conceptual and must meet or exceed the development standards of the C-1 (Local Commercial) District and the Greater Hidden Hills Overlay District and approved conditions.
- Indoor amusement to serve adult patrons shall include 425 games consisting of simulators, virtual realities and coin operated machines. All prizes to be redeemable on-site. No cash redemption.
- No more than 3 restaurants on the subject site.
- Location of access, number of curb cuts and transportation improvements on Covington Highway shall be subject to approval of the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) and the Transportation Division of the Public Works Department.
- Provide one (1) curb cut on Hidden Creek Drive. Location is subject to approval of the Transportation Division of the Public Works Department.
- Provide inter-parcel access from the adjacent C-1 (Commercial) zoned property as shown on the submitted site plan.
- Refuse areas shall be screened from the public street and not be visible from adjoining properties. Enclosures shall be constructed of building materials matching the primary buildings.
- Provide 50-foot wide undisturbed transitional buffer adjacent to residential zoned properties subject to the requirements of the Tree Preservation Ordinance.
- Maintain the open green space area designated as park space on the submitted site plan.
- Provide sidewalks along property frontages (Covington Highway and Hidden Creek Drive).
- The approval of this rezoning application by the Board of Commissioners has no bearing on the requirements for other regulatory approvals under the authority of the Zoning Board of Appeals, or other entity whose decision should be based on the merits of the application under review by such entity.
The DeKalb Planning Department staff recommended approval of the Special Land Use Permit for a late-night establishment with the following conditions:
1) The late night establishment shall be limited to the ground floor within Buildings A, B and C as depicted on the revised conceptual site plan entitled proposed Panola Slopes Resort dated 8/29/14 and stamped received by the Department of Planning and Sustainability on September 2, 2014. Said site plan is conceptual and must meet or exceed the development standards of the C-1 (Local Commercial) District and the Greater Hidden Hills Overlay District and approved conditions.
2) Late Night Establishments shall stop serving alcohol by 2:00 a.m.
3) A minimum of one outdoor security officer and a minimum of two indoor security officers shall patrol at regular intervals.
4) Compliance with the DeKalb County Noise Ordinance.
5) No dance floor allowed as part of the subject late night establishments.
6) The SLUP is non-transferable. Any new owner operator